A training program for european emerging songwriters-producers
Nowadays, being a songwriter-producer means being multi-tasking : practicing its instrument, developing its career, integrating network of professionals, promoting its project, diversifying revenue streams, managing copyrights, understanding and dealing with new digital practices.
Nowadays, being a songwriter-producer is to be a key influencer and the major stakeholder of its career.
Slash is a learning program dedicated to nine emerging professional songwriters-producers. The main goal of this program is to support them in this new context and to provide them concrete and practical tools to solve issues, detect new opportunities and deal with day-to-day life.
March 2021 - Decembre 2021
The coaching will help Slash songwriters-producers to explore issues, options and goals, and to provide strategies for professional development. The coaching program will focus on business, financial and communication issues. Coaching will be delivered online.
- → Online
April 2021 - December 2021
Nine mentors from cultural & creative industries will follow the songwriters-producers all along the program. They will share their story, their experience and they will be available to listen and advise the songwriters-producers during the program.
- → Online
→ Promus, Aarhus, Denmark
Entrepreneurship / Business workshop
This 6‑days workshop will be held to bring skills that cultivate an entrepreneurial mindset and interest in the future of the music business. Courses are mainly based on the perception that a SLASH songwriter-producer should become the key influencer and the major stakeholder of his/her career. This is why it will offer a large overview on innovative ways to reach different audiences and clients. Courses are also based on marketing case studies, business applications and the use of innovative services in order to invigorate what SLASH songwriters-producers will learn. Here is the schedule:
- Understanding the general music industry ecosystem
- Designing a SLASH musician brand based on storytelling, marketing and operational direct-to- fan strategy
- Fundraising, crowdfunding, endorsement, sponsoring, and music-monetizing tools
- Using artist-centric applications and tools for business issues
- Defining the business model for my career as a songwriter-producer: the diversification of activities (community projects, movies, teaching, tourism…)
- Designing the right time balance between artistic activities and business activities
Given the international health situation, the program might be subject to change depending on sanitary restrictions and travel conditions.
- → Promus, Aarhus, Denmark
→ Lisbon, Portugal
Author’s right and copyright workshop
This 6‑days workshop will allow songwriters-producers to build a sustainable career based on its author’s right/copyright management. This workshop will also allow songwriters-producers to understand the entire author’s right and copyright ecosystem, as well as looking at future issues. Courses are mainly based on concrete case studies, good practices and innovative ways to manage its author’s right / copyright. Here is the schedule:
- Understanding the entire author’s right and copyright value chain
- Working with an Author Society: registration, declaration, author’s right/copyright management, metadata, and royalties tracking tools
- Working with a publisher: interests and relationships
- Developing its back catalogue thanks to the streaming platform
- Building new strategies with music library company
- The future of author’s right / copyright: blockchain and footprinting
- → Lisbon, Portugal
November - December 2021
→ Trempolino, Nantes, France
"Music 2030” workshop & songwriting camp
This 6‑days workshop will allow the 9 songwriters-producers to improve their knowledge about major changes to come in the music industry. This workshop will make the songwriters-producers more familiar with concepts such as blockchain, AI, connected objects, AR/VR. The sessions will mainly consist of panels and new music solutions presentations. These events will be opened to a general audience and be live-streamed online. Here is the schedule:
- Discovering and practicing the new instruments
- Understanding what artificial intelligence is and which will be its role in 2030
- Composing in a binaural approach for virtual reality and augmented reality
- Understanding the connected speakers issues
- Learning about the next roles of the blockchain
- Building my career in a more sustainable world
- → Trempolino, Nantes, France
Trempolino is a cultural organization dedicated to musicians and people with musical projects. It is housed in an emblematic building on the Ile de Nantes, which includes rehearsal and recording studios, workspaces, a terrace and a club. Trempolino offers professional training, workshops and music courses, support programmes for artists/entrepreneurs and develops cooperation actions on a local, national or European scale.
The organization seeks to improve access to music practice and artistic education and acts for the development of the regional music industry and the emergence of new artistic practices.
SACEM (Society of Authors, Composers and Publishers of Music) represents and defends 176, 150 members in France and worldwide and plays a crucial economic role to preserve musical creation. SACEM is a non-profit non-trading entity owned and managed by its members: authors, composers and publishers of music. Its main roles are : collecting & distributing royalties ; promoting & supporting creators ; defending & protecting their members and authors’ rights.
Royalties from copyright/authors’ rights are authors and composers’ only source of revenue. It is to guarantee authors’ intellectual property rights over their works that SACEM collects and distributes royalties. SACEM’s territorial presence is its most valuable asset, which guarantees fair, efficient royalty collections and close relations with clients and members in each and every region.